Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It's a Tough Job Being Four

My decision to place Andy in the YMCA's preschool program last fall was a rather hasty one, motivated mostly by my own selfishness rather than his best interests. I wanted him to spend two mornings a week with someone besides me, quite frankly. I was just saying the other day that a 4 year old boy is a force to be reckoned with. Some days I am amazed we are both still standing at dinner time. Given my mindset, I approached his first parent-teacher conference with more than a little fear and trepidation. Much to my surprise, he is thriving and flourishing in his class. They offered only positive feedback for our little firecracker. I held back tears of relief. "What about his anger management?" I inquired hesitantly. His teachers looked at me as if I had three heads and informed me that he kept his emotions in check. "Surely he has trouble sharing?" The assured me he shared quite nicely. I'm sorry, are we talking about the same boy? They laughed knowingly and said, "every parent asks us that." What? I wonder why they demonstrate their best behavior in public and save their tricks and tirades for the mommies. Not fair, I say, not fair!
Andy says he is building a zoo They completed a farm unit recently and this was their milking the cow simulation.
So it turns out my hasty decision has actually been a blessing for both of us. He learns about the world around him through creative play and I have learned that I am not in control. Duh! He is equipped with unique abilities and a quirky personality and he will thrive in the world, regardless of our challenges at home. Hooray for hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment